Since our club was formed in 1972, we have undertaken many projects to benefit our community and support our youth and the elderly.
In the past we have:-
- Built the bridges on the Mangati Walkway.
- Built the bus shelters
- Helped with the fitness trail at Hickford Park.
- Built an Adventure playground at Bell Block school.
- Started the Medical Alarm project
- Built the Doctor's surgery and got the first doctor (Dr Lim) to come to Bell Block.
- Built new picnic tables at Bell Block beach
We now also help the community in many ways:-
- We keep a hut at TOPEC maintained
- We have donated toys to the Neonatal ward
- Donated gifts to children at Christmas
- Host overseas students as part of our Youth Exchange
(Look at our Projects and Initiatives for more information)
- Support Camp Quality - camp for youth and their families who suffer with Cancer.
- Collect used spectacles to give to the visually impaired in the Pacific Islands.
- Collect Kan Tabs to provide funds to assist families of our Diabetes Youth.
- Youth Program - youth exchanges, speech competitions and camps
- Help with disaster relief for earthquakes, floods and cyclones in New Zealand and overseas.
What do we do?
- We enjoy ourselves.
- We carry out 'hands-on' projects in our community
- We raise funds for, and give assistance to, charitable projects
- We assist the blind, the elderly and the youth.
- We assist in times of emergency.
- We visit other clubs, and have social outings
- Lions are proud of the fact that 100% of funds raised in the community are returned to the community
What do we volunteer?
- Our time, talents and enthusiasm.
- We become involved on a committee to help organize the activities of our club.
- We work on projects as much as our home and work commitments allow.
SO.... if you are able to give up a few hours and a few gold coins each month, please contact our President Margaret (Phone 06 769 9405) to find out more.
Our 2015-16 Board
In May 2012 , at our 40th Anniversary celebrations, we gave our 2 Charter Members, Roy Benton and Royce Dempster,Lions International Life Membership
P.O. Box 7064 Fitzroy New Plymouth